People with diabetes do not eat here and there. They make right choices about the food they eat to lose weight in a healthy way and keep it off as they live with the disease. Blood sugar level will remain normal when you have the right diabetic menu, take your medicine, and exercise.
What’s the Aim?
There is no known cure for diabetes; but you can manage yourself to control the disease. There are several reasons why you should plan your menu and how you eat.
- The main aim is to keep blood sugar level normal. Diabetes occurs when too much sugar is in the blood.
- You also want to limit the amount of bad carbs you eat and go for those that are easier to be processed by the body. You should eat more vegetables that are low in carbohydrates,fruits and nuts, beans and strictly lean meats.
- Lots of sodium, fats, refined sugar and grains, and alcohol are unwholesome to your health as a diabetic.
- You want to establish a healthy eating pattern.
- weight loss is the best answer to improving glucose control in adults with Type 2 diabetes.
Simple Diabetic Menu
Your menus do not have to be flamboyant. Whatever the menu, ensure that you get a balanced amount of the food groups on your plate. The menus presented below are just examples of what your meals should look like.
Simple Breakfast Menu Ideas
- Breakfast Idea 1– Hearty Porridge with Bacon and Toast
- 1/2 cup maize meal porridge, stiff, cooled and mixed with low-fat milk
- 20g grilled bacon
- Grilled tomato
- 1 slice seeded brown bread, toasted and spread with low fat margarine
- Tea or coffee with low-fat milk.
- Breakfast Idea 2–Avocado, Toast and Egg
- 1 slice 100% whole grain bread
- 1/5 avocado
- 1 egg(poached or soft boiled)
- Medium orange
- Café au lait made with half cup 1% milk
Simple Lunch Menu Ideas
- Lunch Idea 1 – Chicken Salad Wraps with Corn, Carrots, and Yogurt
- 1 Curried Chicken Salad Wrap
- 1/2 cup frozen corn with 2 teaspoons margarine spread
- 1 cup baby carrots and celery sticks with 1 tablespoon ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt with 1 cup raspberries
- Lunch Idea 2 – Salmon, Rice, Summer Squash Salad, and Tropical Fruit
- 1 serving Spice-Rubbed Salmon and Tropical Rice
- 1 cup steamed summer squash and onions with 2 teaspoons margarine spread
- 1-1/2 cups salad (lettuce, cucumbers, sliced peppers, tomatoes, and shredded carrots) with 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar dressing
- 1/2 cup mango slices
- 1/2 cup pineapple slices
Simple Dinner Menu Ideas
- Supper/Dinner Idea 1 –Chicken Roast with Beans, Avocado and Berries
- Roasted chicken
- ½ cup three-bean salad
- ¼ cup Green pepper and avocado salad with low-fat salad dressing
- 1 cup Mixed berries
- 2 scoops fat free vanilla-flavored ice cream
- Supper/Dinner Idea 2 – Chicken Breast with Rice and Hearty Mango
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Brown Rice
- Maple-Glazed Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Cup Steamed Summer Squash
- 1/2 Cup Mango
When you plan what you are going to eat, you will find it more fun. You will be excited by all the colors that your ideas will bring out, while basking in the knowledge that you are eating healthy. This is the time to share your diabetic menu with you friends.